Thursday, December 18, 2014

Giving to Others {Part 1}

December seems to have gotten away from me.  It is hard to believe that tomorrow is our last day before Winter Break!

In November, I asked my parents and students for suggestions of ways we could help others throughout the month of December.  I wanted students to have an "others" focus during a season that is frequently "me" focused.

One project that multiple parents suggested was creating cards or ornaments for a local nursing home.  We spread this out over the course of a week since we were creating 82 cards and ornaments.


Made from paint samples and sequins.  I added a piece of yarn at the top to hang them.


After making the cards and 2 different types of ornaments (trees above and you'll see the angels below), students packed one card and one ornament in a sandwich-sized Ziploc bag.  They had the option to use stickers to decorate the bags.

Angels are made from "butterfly" paper clips.  The ornaments turned out similar to these.
The kids enjoyed making these and loved the assembly of the bags.  One student said "this is like an assembly line".

A parent of a student in our class works for a nursing home, so she was gracious enough to deliver them to the residents for us.

Check back over winter break; I will be highlighting a couple more projects we did in the month of December.  

No comments:

Post a Comment