Thursday, November 26, 2015

Turkeys in Disguise

I used the book Turkey Trouble last week.  In the past, I have had students take a turkey home to disguise, but this year time got away from me and I ended up not sending them home.  The kids were engaged in the story, and I knew they'd enjoy decorating turkeys on their own.

I decided this was a great activity for our classroom art center.  I put paper turkey copies in the art center along with a variety of colors of construction paper, scissors, glue, crayons and markers.  I loved seeing what they came up with on their own with no help from a family member. 

In the past, I have given ideas of what they could do with their turkeys, but this year I left it to chance and they only got the farm animal ideas from the story.  Below are some examples of their work.

Princess

This was right after our visit from Todd Parr.

Bing Bong from Inside Out

Zebra
Vampire
Do you do a special activity for Thanksgiving?  How much guidance do you give?  After this year, I'm thinking "less is more".  Happy Thanksgiving!



No comments:

Post a Comment