Tuesday, December 15, 2015

#DoGood: Toy Drive

This is the second year my class has decided to do a toy drive around the holidays.   We collected new and gently used toys.  The idea was to give something you no longer play with as Christmas approaches.  The kids created the flyers (I typed; they told me what to write and illustrated) to send home with the whole school.  After the week of collecting, they cleaned all the toys with baby wipes and boxed them up.




Today, an employee of the shelter came with a van and picked up the toys.  In total, they collected 6 boxes of toys.  The local newspaper came as well.  The kids were so excited to help others out!  Toys collected were donated to our local Domestic Violence shelter.


I've been told by some of my colleagues that students can't donate because we are a high-need community.  The kids, however, never cease to amaze me.  Last year, a little guy who asked Santa for "food" for Christmas brought in a bag of Matchbox cards because he "didn't need them all and someone else could have some too".  I believe that every child can learn about giving regardless of their socio-economic status.  I put the emphasis on choosing a toy that they no longer play with rather than purchasing new, though all donations are praised.

Have you done a service-type project with your students? 

No comments:

Post a Comment